The Oval cricket ground, which is known as the Kia Oval due to sponsorship, opened in 1845 and is located in Kennington, South London. It has been the home of Surrey Cricket Club ever since it opened and is owned by the Duchy of Cornwall.
There are two ends of the stadium, known as the Pavillion End and the Vauxhall End, and the ground has a capacity of 26,000. It was the first ground in England to host international test cricket matches, and in 2002 the stadium was expanded – a job that involved the demolition and rebuilding of the North stands: Surridge, Jardine, Peter May and Fender, which were replaced with a 4 tier grandstand called the OCS stand.
In 2007 the ground was expanded again, this time with the development of the south stands: Lock, Laker and Peter May were demolished in the process. In 2013 the OCS stand was expanded to include ‘wings’ on either side, increasing the capacity by 1,000 seats. The Peter May and Tony Lock stands were once again demolished in 2015, with its larger replacement retaining the name Peter May in honour of the famous England captain.